DOT Physical Exam in Seminole, FL
Come to AFC Urgent Care in Seminole, FL for your next DOT Physical Exam. Our Physicians are trained to help you get the results your looking for with ease. Our clinic is conveniently located at 11241 Park Blvd Suite A Seminole, FL 33772. Call today or schedule an appointment online.
DOT physicals are required in when trying to obtain a commercial driver’s license. Their purpose is to determine your physical health and overall ability to safely operate a commercial vehicle. At AFC Urgent Care, our doctors are trained professionals that can help you get the results you need from your next DOT physical exam. With our comprehensive DOT exams, we’ll have you feeling at ease.
DOT physicals are a common and easy type of physical, but they can be burdensome to schedule weeks in advance. At AFC Urgent Care Seminole, we offer walk-in DOT physicals for our patients, all at an affordable cost. Our experienced and friendly medical staff at AFC Urgent Care Seminole is well-practiced when it comes to DOT physicals, and can provide you with a fast and comfortable experience at our clinic.
What does a DOT Physical consist of?
In order to comply with federal law, a qualified doctor, physician’s assistant, or nurse practitioner must complete your DOT physical. These providers can be easily found when you book an urgent care appointment at AFC Urgent Care in Seminole, FL.
A typical DOT physical begins by having your doctor review your medical history and ask you to list the medications you take on a regularly. During your physical, your examiner should also:
- Check your blood pressure and heart rate
- Check your vision by performing a standard eye exam
- Examine your ears and your ability to perceive sound from at least 5 feet away
- Check for spine deformities
- Ensure there are no breathing or swallowing problems in the mouth and throat
- Perform a neurological exam to make sure your coordination and reflexes are not impaired
- Listen to your heart and lungs for murmurs and impaired respiratory functions
- Press on your abdomen to check for abnormalities
- Perform a hernia check
- Conduct urinalysis for indications of underlying medical conditions
What is included in a DOT Physical?
When attending a DOT physical exam, a commercial driver will need to bring a completed list of medications, including the dosage and their doctors’ names and addresses. In an effort to save time, we also recommend that drivers fill out a health history questionnaire before coming to the clinic.
To ensure that the exam runs smoothly, drivers with medical issues need to bring the appropriate documents or items associated with those illnesses. For example:
- Drivers afflicted with vision or hearing problems should bring their eyeglasses, contacts, hearing aids, or any other enhancement item.
- Drivers that are afflicted with diabetes must bring the most recent lab results. This lab report must include their Hemoglobin and their blood sugar logs.
- Drivers with heart-related issues/diseases must, at the very least, bring a letter from their current cardiologist. This letter must outline their medical history and current medications. The letter must also clearly state that it is safe for them to work.
At a DOT physical, doctors will often check the following:
- Blood pressure/pulse rate
- Physical Examination
A lot is covered in the DOT physical exam and of course, not everyone can pass on their first try. There are many reasons a driver may fail the DOT exam. Some of these things are within your control and others are not. There are a few reasons you could be considered unqualified to drive including:
- High blood pressure
- Alcoholism or drug use
- Missing extremities
- Cardiovascular or respiratory disease
- Poor eyesight or hearing
- A nervous or psychiatric disease
How often am I supposed to get a DOT Physical?
Commercial drivers are required to take the DOT physical exam every two years. If you have a pre-existing condition that needs monitoring, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or heart disease, you may be required to get a physical more often. Once you have passed your DOT physical one of our doctors will give you a certificate. This certificate must be carried with you in the commercial vehicle at all times.
Drug testing can be a long process, but with our on-site laboratories you or your employees can receive fast and accurate results in no time! At our walk-in clinic, we promise great medical service and can see to your DOT physical needs on your own watch. We recommend that you call ahead, just to confirm that there is a certified DOT exam provider on site at AFC Urgent Care Seminole.
If you or someone you know needs a DOT physical exam, come to AFC Urgent Care. We will help you determine whether or not you are a good fit to drive a commercial vehicle. Our doctors are experienced, professional, and will help you feel comfortable enough to ask the questions you need to ask. Call today or schedule an appointment online!